The chart below summarizes the curricular requirements for satisfaction of the minor.
* 3 Upper Division (UD) electives can be completed with 2 UD electives and a 3rd quarter of DS 195CE or DS 196.
|DS 101W ||Core: Perspectives on Disability Studies|
|3 Upper Division electives*||Select from a list of approved departmental course offerings|
|DS 195CE or DS 196||2 quarters of internship or|
2 quarters of research apprenticeship
|DS 191 or|
DS 199A/B orDS 198A/B
|Senior Capstone class or independent project or Honors thesis on DS topic|
|7-8 Courses || |
» DS 195CE - Internship Guidelines
» How to Enroll in DS 195CE Internship Course
» Senior Capstone (DS 191, DS 199A/B or DS 198A/B)
» How to Enroll in DS 191
» How to Enroll in DS 199A/B or DS 198A/B
DS 195CE - Internship GuidelinesInternship Requirements
- Two consecutive quarters of enrollment in a 4-unit Disability Studies 195CE internship course
- Letter-grade only
- Internship must involve 80 hours spread throughout the quarter (8-10 hrs/wk)
- Challenging, college-level work (i.e. not filing, coffee runs, scheduling appointments, shadowing without interaction, etc)
- Professional work environment
- Supervised off-campus location (UCLA-affiliated centers are RARELY approved, and internship work must involve interaction with community stakeholders, not peers)
- Connection to your major/interests
Note: There is no formal class meeting but an independent study relationship with a faculty mentor and the creation of a final research paper each quarter. Information about 195CE Course Requirements:
Visit the UCLA Center for Community Learning.Types of internships
Disability Studies 196: Research Apprenticeship
- Direct service internships offer a hands-on opportunity to work with disabled adults or children. Examples include a teaching assistant position in a special education classroom or work with adults at a local regional center.
- Policy internships are generally affiliated with government agencies. The Los Angeles Mayor's office has responsibility for ADA compliance and places students in internships that support those efforts.
In lieu of DS 195CE, minors can complete two terms of Disability Studies 196. Research apprenticeships offer the opportunity to work under the guidance of faculty mentors affiliated with the Disability Studies minor. Minors will collaborate with DS faculty on their research in an area related to disability studies. Individual contract required and Letter grading only. Examples include assisting a faculty member on researching and assessing a local non-profit.
How to enroll in a DS 195CE Internship CourseEnrollment Steps
- Research potential internships.
- Contact potential internship sites and apply, interview, etc.
- Secure an internship by being offered a position that will allow you to work 8-10 hours per week for a minimum total of 80 hours during an academic quarter.
- Schedule an intake appointment by calling or emailing the Center for Community Learning during Weeks 8-10 of the quarter preceding your internship or Weeks 0-2 of the quarter when you want to enroll (call 310.825.7867 or email).
- Complete enrollment paperwork by Friday of Week 2 (Friday of Week 3 with fee); instructions given at intake appointment—NOT through MyUCLA.
- Petition your academic counseling unit to go over 19 units if needed!
- Verify enrollment on study list by the end of Week 2 (or Week 3 if you turn in paperwork late).
- Schedule and attend second appointment by the end of Week 4.
Senior Capstone (DS 191, DS 199A/B or DS 198A/B)
The senior capstone is designed to integrate and synthesize learning from earlier coursework and previous research as well as the internship experience. For more information on Capstone Expectations, click HERE.
The requirement can be fulfilled with one of the following:
- Disability Studies 191 – Senior Research SeminarIn-depth study of major themes in disability studies research. Themes vary by instructor and term. Students pursue independent research related to course theme, with guidance from instructor, then share and critique other student works in progress. This course is only offered in Spring quarters.Minors are manually enrolled into this course.
- Disability Studies 199A/B – Directed Research in Disability StudiesDisability Studies 199A (2 units) and 199B (4 units) is two terms of supervised independent research or investigation designed by the student and under the guidance of a faculty mentor. The two-term course culminates in a paper or project.Individual contract required and created through MyUCLA.
- Disability Studies 198A/B - Honors Research in Disability StudiesDisability Studies 198A (2 units) and 198B (4 units) is two terms of supervised individual research or investigation designed by the student and under the guidance of a faculty mentor. The two-term course culminates in an honors thesis or comprehensive research project.Individual contract required and created through MyUCLA.
How to Enroll in DS 199A/B or DS 198A/BEnrollment Steps
- Secure a faculty mentor before the quarter you want to start your independent research
- For the 1st quarter of your project, create a contract for DIS STD 199A or 198A on MyUCLA
- Meet with your faculty mentor to review the contract and have them sign it
- Submit the signed contract to Pia Palomo, A316 Murphy Hall by Friday, Week 2
- For the 2nd quarter of your project, create a contract for DIS STD 199B or 198B on MyUCLA and repeat the process.